Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Ted


Yes, I saw it. Yes, I laughed. A lot. 
There have been two big hits this month in movies. One, Magic Mike-which I will not be seeing. For an already explained reason of why, look at this blog http://melissajenna.com/2012/06/30/50-shades-of-magic-mike-in-which-i-am-very-uncool/ (It'll also tell you why I'm not reading 50 Shades of Gray). The other movie being Ted, which I had every intention of seeing -and finally accomplished the goal this past week. Seriously, I've been trying to see it since it came out and it's been sold out at every theater. 
I may or may not have raced some fratty daddies to the ticket booth to insure that I would get a ticket to the movie. 
Anyways. The plot line:
Little Johnny wants nothing more to be friends with the neighborhood kids, but he can't seem to fit in. One Christmas morning he wakes up to find a new friend waiting for him under the tree. Noooo, it's not a puppy- its a teddy bear! John names the bear Ted and declares that the bear is now his best friend, Ted responds with an animated "I love you". One night he makes a life-changing wish asking that Ted come to life so they can be friends forever. Badda-bing, badda-boom. what do ya know, there happens to be a shooting star and the next morning Ted is alive. Flash forward and a 30 year old John (played by Mark Wahlberg) and his teddy bear (Seth MacFarlane) are sitting on the couch getting high. Johns dating Lori (Mila Kunis) and she graciously puts up with the two acting childish. ...for a while. On their 4 year anniversary Lori gives John an ultimatum- her or the bear. Of course, John chooses her but is trying to show Ted that they can still be Thunder Buddies despite the distance. Mess up after mess up Lori sees where Johns loyalty lies and is forced to make a decision she doesn’t want to make. Oh! I forgot to mention there is a severely twisted man and his son on the lookout to get Ted. They love that he’s a talking bear and want him for their own. It gets creepy towards the end of the movie-and ultimately this brings Ted, Lori, and John back together. 
That may have told you more than you wanted- but not in to much detail. I left out quite a bit so you can still see it if you want! 
My thoughts:
Coming from the creator of Family Guy, I was expecting the movie to be a bit more ‘filling’? I’m not sure if that’s the right way to put it. The comedy was basically exactly like Family Guy, but for 2 hours. I wish it would have varied. Without the different plot lines of the different shows, the comedy became predictable and boring. There were many one-liners that I thought were awesome and the Thunder Buddies song had the whole theater cracking up. The part when Ted is throwing a party and they’re watching Family Guy, pause it and Ted’s response is “Oh come onnn. I don’t sound that much like Peter Griffin”, was indeed hilariously ironic. 
The end of the movie was a little more dramatic than I was expecting, especially since I thought it was a comedy through and through. I guess the writers felt that there needed to be something more to the movie. Although I would have been find if it had taken a different twist. And can we please never ask Wahlberg to do a Boston accent again. It seemed that he forgot he was suppose to have one half the time, so when he did have one-it was extra annoying. Perhaps he was good at it-but lets face it, Boston accents aren’t cute on anyone. As for the way over done innuendoes, ehhh-makin me blush. But I knew that would happen.
Overall I’d give it a 3.5/5.
That seems fair. If the accent wasn’t there, it probably would have scored higher. It really killed it for me.











<<ps. Anyone else find this funny? 

Next movie-The Dark Knight Rises.
Woohoo! 
Until then, 
Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment